Bayside College Pty Ltd (Bayside College) is committed to protecting your privacy. Bayside College collects, uses and discloses personal information in accordance with the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 (Vic) (PDPA) and other applicable legislation.
‘Personal Information’ is defined broadly in the PDPA as recorded information about an identifiable individual, and includes identifiers such as the individual’s name, email address, postal address, phone number and gender.
Bayside College does not collect any personal sensitive information such as information about your race, religious or philosophical beliefs, political opinion, memberships or political associations, memberships of professional or trade associations or criminal records.
Purpose of collecting personal information
Personal information collected by Bayside College is for the primary purpose of providing the requested course of study. This includes information used:
- For administrative purposes and to correspond with you;
- To meet legal obligations and respond to emergency situations;
- To inform you about your course or other Bayside College courses, events and services;
- To facilitate or verify the allocation of a Victorian Student Number (VSN), Commonwealth
- Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN) or a Unique Student Identifier.
Information may also be collected for the following related secondary purposes:
- For the purposes of quality assurance and course evaluation
- For the purposes of undertaking Institute commissioned research and student elections
- To meet reporting obligations to your employer where this is relevant
Sharing or disclosing your information
Information may be disclosed to the following types of organisations, upon written application where there is a specific reason and where the disclosure is required or authorised by law:
- Government departments eg. Higher Education and Skills Group (HESG), Victorian Registration and Qualifications Authority (VRQA), Department of Industry, Department of Immigration and Border Protection, VET and Higher Education Regulators (ASQA and TEQSA), the Australian Taxation Office, Centrelink, and the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development;
- External organisations (e.g. professional bodies, hospitals) or government agencies (e.g.
VCAA and VTAC);
- External organisations contracted for the purposes of undertaking Institute commissioned research for the benefit of the Institute and the student body;
- Contracted service providers which the Institute uses to perform services on its behalf;
- To an employer or organisation sponsoring a student’s study;
- To the parent or authorised representative of a student who is a minor (under 18);
- Other tertiary educational institutions for results, course completion or certificate verification to facilitate your subsequent application to that institution.
A cookie is a small file tracking how and when you use a site, which site you visited immediately before, and it can store that information about your computer. Cookies cannot be used to run programs or deliver viruses to your computer. There are two types of cookies, session cookies and persistent cookies. The Bayside College website may use session cookies which are stored in temporary memory and are not retained after you close the browser session
If you choose to disable cookies in your browser this may impair your ability to browse, read, and download information contained on the Bayside College website, and Bayside College may be unable to personalise your web experience.
Use of Site Visit Data
The Bayside College website collects site visit data as identified above to better understand general user trends at an aggregate level and improve web performance, web services, and website maintenance.
To the extent that site visit data could make you identifiable, Bayside College will not attempt to identify individuals from the records the server automatically generates, unless required to do so as part of an internal investigation or for another law enforcement-related purpose, and then, only in compliance with the PDPA.
Bayside College may also use site visit information for security audits to protect against threats from hackers, and for other law enforcement and security purposes.
Disclosure of Site Visit Data
Bayside College will not disclose the personal information collected as part of your site visit to a third party without your consent, unless we are required or authorised to do so by law or other regulation. In the event of an investigation into suspected unlawful or improper activity, a law enforcement agency or government agency may exercise its legal authority to inspect the web server’s records (e.g. in relation to hacking or abusive messages).
Bayside College provides links from our website to other websites or applications operated by third parties. These links are provided only for your convenience and intended to add value to your visit. However, we do not have control over these sites and services, which are independent from Bayside College and have their own privacy policies and terms and conditions.
Photography and video files
Bayside College may on occasion take and publish photographs or videos of students involved in Bayside College activities on and off the school for educational and promotional purposes, and may publish photographs in hard copy or via electronic media or on Bayside College’s website. Such photos may be viewed by the general public. If you object to your photograph being taken or wish to restrict its use, please notify the photographer at the event and/or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Access and Correction
You have a right to access your personal information collected by Bayside College and to have it corrected if it is wrong.
Please contact Bayside College using the details set out below if you wish to make a request for access to or correction of any personal information that we may hold about you; or make a complaint about the way in which we have handled your personal information. Our response may be limited to the extent permitted by any applicable law.
Bayside International English College
55 Acland St, St Kilda 3182, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia